Total Pageviews

Thursday 9 August 2012

It needed to be done :), and that's not all!

Well, it's been a late start to the season (about a month late I'd say), and as some of you may know I've had a lot on my plate lately. However my holidays have arrived as of last Friday and I've been very busy working on the Grebe.

I should clarify a little ...
Some of the things I've been working on are things that needed to be done.
1. I got a new vehicle to tow the Grebe
2. I put a tow hitch on the new vehicle
3. I got a trailer for the Grebe ( a real nice Shoreland'r)

What can I say?
it coming along nicely I think. :)



and that's not all ...
I also been working hard on the balance sail, and I'm pleased to say that the sail, mast and rigging are all coming along nicely. I took my Sail material into a shop yesterday to be sown and have gromits put in. I made a couple of templates out of tarp to be sure that everything works, and for the most part I believe it does.

Its been a fantastic learning curve once again as of course I've never built and balance sail rig before. The other part of all this is that (like many of us) I had to stay within a budget so you find other ways to make things work. So I'm not going to the "sail shop" and buying pre-manufactured sails, masts and rigging ... Nope, I'm going to the hardware store and picking up materials that will do the job quite nicely at a much more affordable price. All going well I am to pick up my sail on Friday night.

If I said I wasn't nervous about sailing the Grebe, I'd surely be lieing *LOL*.
I haven't sailed in years, and in the same breath I am truly excited at the thought of taking the grebe out on a broad-reach! There is no doubt in my mind that the Grebe will sail, and you'll have to forgive me if I take baby-steps to start. I'm sure there will be some tweaking/testing involved a long the way.

All going well in the near future my post should be very interesting *L*
and will be one of "Sailing the Grebe!"

wish me luck :)
kev




No comments:

Post a Comment