Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 September 2011

today...

Got out in the Grebe again today, nice and calm when I started out. Another beautiful day today. The lake was pretty much as usual, a few sailboats, the paddlewheel and lots of canoes and kayaks. Sunny, blue skies and 27 degrees with a little breeze. I did my usual route to the east. I rowed for about 1/2 an hour and the winds started to pick up quickly. The gusts began started coming in fast with 15 to 25km winds. The water became reasonably choppy so I found myself making shorter deeper strokes to counter the wind and chop. I had decided to put the dagger-boards in when I headed out. I was glad I did. They make for a fantastic keel effect. It took me a little over 1/2 hour to get back to the Dock. By the time I landed the winds were 35km gusting to 45km. The Grebe held up well. I had to be careful of the broadside gusts on the chop as it would get be rocking pretty good at moments. I'm glad I decided to head back in when I did!

Today is one of those days when all the leaves are turning yellow and falling of the trees. There are lots of "leaf" devils everywhere. Swirling masses of leaves 10' wide and climbing upward, you know...   the kind we all like to run into and stand in. *L*.

I was only on the water for an hour or so. Everytime is a little different.
This time offered up a little more excitement, but I never felt I was in trouble. Just had to row a little harder and perhaps a little smarter.

Even if its for an hour, Its always nice to get on the water.

1 comment:

  1. What do those dagger boards look like (pic, please) and how do they attach or whatever? What's the lake called?

    ReplyDelete